Search This Blog

Friday, August 13, 2010

The spirit of the Law?

I'd like to postulate something; could it be that the heart and "spirit" of the Judaic-Christian Bible has always been found in the this verse from Matthew 22;36-40: "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, " 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and all your soul, and with all your mind.' "This is the great and foremost commandment "The second is like it, 'You shall love neighbor as yourself.' "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

I say this because of a news story I stumbled upon. The story, reported in January of this year, stated that a pottery shard, discovered 18 miles from Jerusalem and dated to around the tenth century BCE, contained this Hebrew inscription (the text below is the English translation);

1' you shall not do [it], but worship the [Lord].
2' Judge
the sla[ve] and the wid[ow] / Judge the orph[an]
3' [and] the stranger. [Pl]ead for the infant / plead for the po[or and]
4' the widow. Rehabilitate [the poor] at the hands of the king.
5' Protect the po[or and] the slave / [supp]ort the stranger.

You can read the rest of the story here. It contains some other insights to how old the written Hebrew language actually is, but to me this is a revelation. Or at least, the beginning of one. We, as Christians, often tend to ignore Jesus as a Jewish individual, someone who studied the Torah and grew up in that tradition. There's a lot of talk among historians about the hospitality of the ancient peoples of the middle east, particularly the Hebrews, and this, along with Jesus' statement about the greatest commandment, seems to affirm all that "hippie, love everyone" ideology that has become popular among Emergent and liberal Christian thinking. I'm not making any grand statements here, because I feel like I'm only scratching the surface but I think my view on things just got a whole new spin and serious shot in the arm.

-Dan

2 comments:

Laws of attractions said...

Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this, I feel fervently about this and I like learning about this subject. Thanks for sharing this valuable post.

School of prophets

Dan said...

Thanks for commenting on this post! I'm glad that you found it uplifting and useful. I'm presently browsing your website and I find it really intriguing. Thanks again for commenting!