Search This Blog

Saturday, August 07, 2010

Are we predestined, or free-willed? pt. 1

I read a blog by Donald Miller where he questioned whether or not God had a specific design for your life and he surmised that there probably wasn't. His backing was that out of the vast majority of people in the Bible, only a scant few are reported as being "chosen" for something great. This idea really stuck with me for some reason. I have been wrestling with it for some time now, because I think that he may be on to something. I know that my early life experience in the church was peppered with this "predestination" ideology; that God has "great plans" for my life. However, I must admit that of the six billion people in the world today, hundreds of millions of them being professing Christians, I just can't see it anymore. What is it about me that makes me so much more, "special" than others? Do I really have anymore "favor with God" than the next person? If I am predestined for great things, then does that mean I have no free will of my own? Is my free will found in submitting to this predestination?

I have this feeling, in the back of my mind, that I am not meant for "great things" at least, not on the level that most would assume. Do I have a sphere of influence that I can positively impact? Absolutely. Does this mean that I have "great things" in store for me? Depends on your idea of great things.

I know that there is some "thing" that I am supposed to do. This "thing" is my passion. It is my "gift." It is what will be the vessel that the Holy Spirit can move through, via me, to influence people. To draw them close to the light of Christ. I suppose that this in itself is a "great thing" as I can imagine nothing greater than a restored spiritual relationship with the Creator. However, I don't feel myself, or most of us really, are going to be people of "great influence." For every Martin Luther King Jr. there's a million John Smiths. I am one of those. We should, ultimately be OK with this, because when it comes down to the last legs of our earthly existence, we should be satisfied in knowing that we leave behind loved ones who were positively influenced by our life.

As for the nature of our free will, a stance that includes us not being predestined for "great things" really leaves much of the leg work of our lives to us. You absolutely can not be any sort of influence sitting at home waiting for God to drop a gift in your lap. Sloth is a horrible vice, one that can be twisted to something ultra spiritual as, "I just need to wait on the Lord."

I have some more thoughts, so consider this a preliminary exposition. I want to go into these ideas more and, more specifically, search out the Scripture to see what it says. I plan to follow up in a few days. Be blessed.

-Dan

No comments: