Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

National Poetry Month

Happy National Poetry month everyone! Woot! In honor of this month, I will be posting a new poem everyday throughout April. It will either be a poem of my own, or a poem by someone else. So, without further adieu, here's a poem!

Ode to a Coffee Bean
by Daniel J. Adkins

The smells of sunrise fly into my head
The black, earthy smell of liquid joy
Rouse me from the sleep of engulfing beds
That first sip is as to a child on Christmas,
Getting her favorite toy.
The dark, smooth coating given to the mug
Opens a portal into the secret word
Where one bean from a stately tree hung,
Picked, looked at with a careful eye, in fingers twirled
Chosen to be my morning comfort
From halfway across the globe.
Now you sit, among compatriots ground, covered
With scalding liquid to extract your essence
For me to ingest, to share, to connect as lover
To see the conjoined life we lead, you needing me
To unlock your potential, me needing you to unlock my mind.

3 comments:

Holly, Eddy and Sammy said...

love it! I'm looking forward to reading all the poems!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh.... Coffee... What can't it do?! Such a tasty bean... And to it, I'll raise a mug and say, "mmmmm, that's a nice tasty bean, stewed in its own grounds, making a hot bean juice. With which, I will quench my thirst, and pee it out later on today..."

Oh good coffee, take my hand... Let us frolic in a meadow of deliciousness, and we will sing songs of great joy...

And so, we danced together on top of the crystal mountainside, gay and hyper...

Oh, yeah, yours was pretty good too Dan.... Nah, kidding, you know more big words and you're a way better poet than me, so it was way better.... yeah, treels....

Third Impact said...

LOL It's just coffee! Seriously though, good write.