Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2007

Mountains, federal aid and Donald Miller

It's a shame really, there aren't too many great rock bands around anymore. I mean, sure there are bands out there now that have been around for some time, but when was the last time that a really great, straight forward, meat and potatoes rock band came out? Especially one that wasn't aping the sound of a myriad of better bands that came before them. Well, I suppose I'll have to be content with Alice in Chains for the moment (not that that will be hard).

The first portion of this past week I went with my girlfriend and another friend of ours (both of whose blogs are linked to the right) to a cabin in the shadow of Mt. Elbert. It was a good two days of relaxation away from technology, school, the band, and all the other craziness that seems to be my life. I noticed something though in trying to get away from the city and "society;" even in a fairly remote cabin in the mountains, there is still a highway. There is still electricity. There is still a plastic garbage bag underneath the "waterwheel" outside the cabin to prevent rotting. Is any of this bad? Of course not. Like I said, the two days there were a much needed break and escape and I feel much more refreshed. Even in escape though, modern society and all it's amenities are still there. It makes me think about the idea of globalization. Here we are, in a society that is linked with the rest of the world through technology living in a time and age where the world has very few hidden places (if any). The Age of Exploration I imagine was a time where the world seemed endless. Now the world has an end. I have a feeling that if I lived in that time and knew then what the fruits of my endeavors would be, I would probably shit my pants. There are no more blank spaces on the map. The whole planet has been Terra formed to our will, to our advances in science and technology. There is no real true escape into nature as anywhere you go you are bound to find modern civilization just on the border. This is not necessarily bad, it simply is. However, have we lost something in being the creators of our world? We have taken this creation and reshaped it into our will. Landscaping is to an extent the ultimate example of man being the creator of the world. Man being god. A stretch? Perhaps, but you all should be used to that.

Federal aid for going to school is a strange thing. Sometimes I feel like the government is simply saying, "ohhhh, poor thing. Your family doesn't make near enough money to support itself. Well instead of giving your dad a job so he can pay for school and food, we'll just give you a bunch of money and leave your family to fend for themselves." Sad state of affairs in my opinion.

Blue Like Jazz; I've heard people say that this book changed their life and their way of thinking. I don't count myself among those people, but I will say this; Donald Miller and I share a lot of the same observations and feelings on Christianity. I still find myself saying "Hell yea! Preach it brother!" at times while I am reading it. I came across a book in Borders yesterday called Revolution by George Barna and in the book Barna talks about the changing face of the American church. I would like to read his insights and I have a feeling that he would be very positive and optimistic about it. There is a change going on in the church in America and I can't decide if it's for the good, the bad, or if it will last. That is another blog for another day.

1 comment:

Third Impact said...

There is a change going on in the Church in America. It's called apostasy.